Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Finding a new language

Resistance to change was the sense I had as Hayles described her journey into Digital Literature. Not her resistance, but the resistance of the people around her, the people in academia. What came to be called the “bathtub theory of literature” probably best sums up their opposition (Hayles 36). Fortunately, she continued to explore this emerging new field. As she discussed her journey of discovery, I found myself wanting to experience some of the artist’s books she mentioned.

While reading her book, I was reminded of our classroom discussion about the pieces. Her frankness in talking about how she needed to learn how to read and interact was the pieces was refreshing. It also served as a reminder to me to revisit this works at different times. I was also reminded about how I need to change my expectations when I’m engaged with one of these pieces compared to my expectations of traditional books.

After looking at Lexia to Perplexia a few times, I think she said it best, “Lexia to Perplexia is a ‘nervous’ document” (57). I explored the piece prior to reading the Writing Machines as suggested. Even though I approached with an open mind, I found myself getting frustrated by its “nervousness”. I managed to loop around once but restarted it a couple of times too. Later, I revisited with Hayles book in hand. Her explanations helped some as far as explaining some of the artist’s intentions. But I think this piece might be like Cubist painters, they’re not my cup of tea.

I’m left with the feeling that Digital Literature will continue to change and expand as new technologies become available. How they will change the way that the artist constructs their piece and how the audience interacts with it remains to be seen. By attempting to define a lot of terms now, I’m wondering if we’re trying to do too much too soon. The differences between the 1st and 2nd generations of Digital Literature illustrate this point. Perhaps, we need to agree that we don’t have all the terminology yet - and might never - and simple enjoy and create new pieces before we have to learn a new set of skills!

1 Comments:

Blogger JZ said...

I really take to heart your suggestion that we might be trying to define aspects of digital literature "too soon." I'm personally somewhat resistant to the formation of categories and definitions in this field, in part because it strikes me that unlike Hayles, many critics create their categories without really paying close attention to individual artworks.

Even the small sampling of digital literature we've looked at so far should indicate the diversity of approaches these writer/artists are taking to the media. The four narratives we'll be reading for next week (two by Young-hae Chang Heavy Industries) will, I hope, demonstrate the same variety. I think we need to look closely at what folks are doing and then work backwards from those observations to theoretical and critical statements. Many of the essays in First Person do, I think, offer good examples of working along these lines.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home